<< Home | Vehicle registrations  

Vehicle Registrations
Moving to the ACT?

change of address
general information


Road User Services is committed to ensuring that all our content is accessible to everyone who wishes to access it. If there is data on this site that is in a format you cannot access, or if you experience other accessibility difficulties, please phone Canberra Connect on 13 22 81. For further information on accessible content please visit http://www.justice.act.gov.au/accessibility

Registering a Rally Vehicle


Information about registering a rally vehicle in the Australian Capital Territory.

ACT Registration Requirements

A rally vehicle can be registered in the ACT subject to certain conditions.

Prior to being registered in the ACT, a rally vehicle must be inspected at Road User Services. A booking for an inspection can be made by contacting Canberra Connect on 13 22 81.

To register a rally vehicle in the ACT, a person must provide:

  • Proof of identity
  • proof of garaging address
  • a Certificate of Inspection completed by Road User Services
  • evidence of membership with the Australian Motor Sport Action Group (AMSAG) or the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS).

A rally vehicle does not require on-going inspections, however, an inspection must be completed by Road User Services before a rally vehicle may be transferred or if modifications have been made to the vehicle.

Rally Vehicles Visiting from Interstate

Rally vehicles visiting the ACT from interstate may participate in CAMS or AMSAG events if they are legally complying with the conditions of the registration cover issued by the Road Transport Authority where the vehicle is registered.

Rally Vehicles Visiting from Overseas

Rally vehicles visiting from overseas competing in specific events can be covered for on-road use by a short-term Special Purpose Permit (SPP). Evidence of current overseas registration must be provided. A Certificate of Inspection is not required for an SPP to be issued. To purchase a SPP for an overseas rally vehicle, please contact Road User Services on (02) 6207 7063.

Overseas rally vehicles which are left hand drive must display a "LEFT HAND DRIVE" sign. The sign must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle and be printed in letters of at least 75mm high.



Postal Address
Road Transport Authority
PO Box 582
Street Address
Dickson Motor Registry
13-15 Challis Street
Opening Hours
8:15 - 5:00   Monday to Friday
Phone for General Enquiries
13 22 81
Phone for Website Difficulties
13 22 81
(02) 6207 7120
Email Address
                                  Privacy Statement  |  Copyright notice  |  Disclaimer notice  |  Link to this Site  |  Last Updated on: Wednesday 1 July 2009