Information about parking rules in the Australian Capital
Examples of where it is illegal to stop or park your vehicle are:
- on a taxi rank or bus stop;
- in a "No Stopping" zone;
- in a "No Parking" zone; (you can stop but not park)
- on a traffic island, the median strip or plantation in a divided carriageway;
- in a loading zone unless you have an approved loading zone parking permit or
the vehicle is specifically permitted to use the loading zone;
- across any passage, thoroughfare, entrance, driveway or foot crossing;
- so that any part of the vehicle overhangs any line marking or parking space/bay;or
- anywhere other than in a marked bay in a car park marked into bays.
Click here to read the
'Parking on the Roadside' fact sheet.
For a full description of parking rules you should refer to the Australian Road Rules.
Copies can be viewed at ACT Government Libraries or on the internet at